In February 2013 AUDIOVERSUM ScienceCenter in Innsbruck opened its doors to visitors from all over the world. This innovative and interactive exhibition is unique not only in Austria, but in the whole of Europe, and fascinates its visitors with interesting facts about hearing. In 2009, Dr. Schulz, former head of MED-EL Germany,managed to convince MED-EL’s CEO Ingeborg Hochmair of this long-cherished idea to open a MED-EL museum in Innsbruck.
Dr. Schulz himself promptly started implementing his original idea and took the position of project leader. What follows are three highly work-intensive years until AUDIOVERSUM ScienceCentre can finally open in 2013.
|2010 - 2012||2013|
|Develop an exhibition concept,||Inauguration of main exhibition|
|Search for suitable venue, planning & building phase||Project management "Special Exhibition"|
|Look for creative partners||Project management "Company Exhibition"|
|Find a name|
2009 – 2012
- Dr. Schulz develops the project “AUDIOVERSUM” as an interactive exhibition and educational centre. The aim is to inform children and adults about the importance of our highly sensitive hearing organ and the hearing process in general. Everybody should be aware of the influence hearing has on our daily lives and quality of life.
- Dr. Schulz finds a suitable venue in the centre of Innsbruck, Wilhelm-Greil Strasse 23. The whole building had to be rebuilt and restructured in order to come up to the expectations and requirements of this highly modern and interactive science museum. Dr. Schulz now takes on the role of site manager.
- At the same time, he starts searching for a suitable creative partner, who will take over the exhibition’s artistic design. ARS Electronica managed to convince Dr. Schulz with many years of experience in exhibition conceptualization.
- Dr. Schulz supervises and also influences the construction phase.
- Together with AEC Linz he develops an innovative concept.
- A new name is needed. Many MED-EL employees are included in the selection processes of an appropriate title. The artistic name “AUDIOVERSUM” received most votes in the end. The coinage is a combination of the Latin words AUDIO- (“I hear”) and –VERSUM (from Universum: infinity, infinite diversity). The word “AUDIOVERSUM” is filed as trademark at the European Patent Office.
- Research and later training of personnel.
- AUDIOVERSUM is inaugurated on 31.01.2013. On this occasion, Dr. Schulz hands over the leadership to Dr. Christina Beste, and will from now on support the AUDIOVERSUM Team as Senior Advisor. Some of his new responsibilities include staff training, and conceptualization and implementation of special exhibitions as well as the company exhibition “MED-EL World”.
Review and Outlook
The idea of AUDIOVERSUM was initiated by MED-EL, which has the mission to overcome hearing loss as a barrier to communication and quality of life. MED-EL’s vision is to raise general awareness of the importance of healthy hearing.
At AUDIOVERSUM you can interactively experience hearing with all its fascinating details. Another purpose is to help people understand how important and valuable a healthy sense of hearing is for our overall development. Different types of hearing loss are also demonstrated in an easy-to-understand and subtle way.
With our exhibition in Innsbruck we aim to impress and animate not only families, school groups and tourists, but also medical professionals and the hearing industry.
PARTNER & LINKS
Science Center Network
Ars Electronica, Linz
Österreichisches Weltraum Forum
ConTakt – Alte Musik im Gespräch
FACTS AND FIGURES
AUDIOVERSUM will take you on a journey through the fascinating world of hearing. Our interactive ScienceCenter offers interesting facts and fun activities for all age groups. You will be amazed by extraordinary exhibits – developed with cutting-edge technology. 1.000 m² invite you to see, hear, participate and gain an understanding of our complex sense of hearing.
A short summary of AUDIOVERSUM
|Opening||1st of February 2013|
|Leadership||Dr. Christina Beste, Head of AUDIOVERSUM|
|Nr. of Employees||15|
|Concise profile||AUDIOVERSUM is an interactive exhibition on the topic of hearing, designed for visitors of all age groups and located in the centre of Innsbruck. It is unique to Austria as well as Europe. Installations and exhibits, produced by MED-EL in cooperation with Ars Electronica, create innovative listening experiences. Over 1,000 m² of exhibition area encourage you to participate, listen, understand, and be amazed. Technologically advanced exhibits demonstrate how the human sense of hearing works. Experiments and various workshops provide for a light-hearted approach.|
|Facilities||1.000 m² exhibition space, 1.300 m² total area
2 permanent exhibitions with high-tech installations
1 special exhibition:
Room „Beethoven“: ideal for lectures, films, meetings etc.